Thursday, August 17, 2017

A gusher



          Good evening, 919 Gang. I have never believed in dowsing or water witching. There is no possible scientific basis, and it can’t possibly work. And yet …
          We’ve had more problems with our well. It was hand-dug, and it’s only 40 feet deep. Once fairly common, 40-foot wells are now rarer than flip phones. So, we’ve had a new well dug.


          It was a three-day operation, and it began with the well guy dowsing to find the best spot. At the end of the second day, he reported he was down 320 feet and the well was producing 5 gallons a minute. That is next to nothing. Phooey on this dowsing stuff. On the third day, he had reached 331 feet, and the well was producing 40 gallons a minute. Amazing. I had been hoping for 20. Plus, the underground pressure is strong, pushing the water halfway up the well. I still don’t believe in dowsing, but I’m not going to argue with the fellow who had such success on our new well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

          DENNIS CORBRAN writes:
          Thanks for the endorsement of the Safari Park website, Jack. It's a team effort here at San Diego Zoo Global. Our full web team consists of just three people, a systems administrator/programmer, a designer, and a site builder/themer, the latter being my role. We've built, and continue to maintain 15 websites. In addition to the Zoo, Safari Park, and Institute for Conservation Research, there are sites for San Diego Zoo Kids (our latest and greatest), Animals & Plants (a resource for information used largely by students), San Diego Zoo Global Academy (our professional training service), as well as smaller sites for exhibit openings, special events, and of course an online version of our member publication ZOONOOZ. We've built most of these sites with a content management system that allows content creators to add and update content without us. Fellow 919er and Tribune colleague Peggy Scott is responsible for the award-winning Kids site content in addition to her work as associate editor of ZOONOOZ.
          If you're going to check out just one of these, I'd have to recommend the Kids site (kids.sandiegozoo.org). It's gotten rave reviews since its redesigned debut in June. You don't have to be a kid to enjoy it. Share it with your kids, grandkids, students, or just enjoy it yourself.

----------------------------------------------------------

          CARL LARSEN forwards:
          Jumping head first into a national story: How a small regional newspaper, the Toledo Blade, broke several stories about the suspect in the Charlottesville car attack.
          It all started with a sharp-eyed copy editor.
 http://tinyurl.com/y9h5mw5l

          KEN STONE forwards:
          After the U.S. pulled out of the Paris climate accords, I had the crazy idea of contacting K-UUUUU-SI's retired weatherman John Coleman for comment. He's a well-known climate-change denier. So I thought he'd be good for a quote.
          Two months after sending a note to Michael Turko, Coleman calls me. "So I hear you want to talk?"
          We set up a phone date the following week. I expected an hour. It lasted nearly 2.
          Yeah, the guy is off his rocker. But he was so damn quotable, I gave him THREE stories.
          Part 1:
          Part 2:
          Part 3:
         

P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.