Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Huls services



          Good evening, 919 Gang. Many thanks to Jim Skovmand for information on the services for Dennis Huls.

           JIM SKOVMAND writes:
          Services for U-T Photo’s Dennis Huls will be held at Miramar National Cemetery on Monday August 7. The main entrance to the cemetery is on Nobel Drive between Miramar Road and Interstate 805. Attendees are asked to have their cars in line at the "Stage 2" area at 11 a.m. We will be led to the location of the ceremony that will run from 11:30 to 12.
          There will be a reception afterwards at the Huls home in Tierrasanta, starting at about 12:30. The address is 11068 Zagala Court, San Diego, CA 92124
          Dennis died July 14 from pancreatic cancer that had spread.

------------------------------------------------------

          CARL LARSEN writes:
          What a treat it was to read Walt Baranger's insider's report on the dislocations taking place at The New York Times. I felt like a 919 premium member, being offered something I couldn't find anywhere else.
          Walt has just accepted a role as vice president of InquireFirst, a consortium of veteran journalists, many with ties to the U-T, who are embarking on a mission to present much-needed in-depth investigative pieces. Its president is former Union and Copley News Service reporter S. Lynne Walker.
          I hope Walt continues to write about his career at the Times for 919, and on the mechanics of maintaining its global reach, as well as his transition to become a journalism educator and role at InquireFirst.
          I hear that he's a fellow "foamer," so I'm also hoping he'll kick in some reports on his favorite rail trips (with photos). I suspect he has enough frequent flier miles from his days at the Times to bankrupt an airline.
          Turning back to the Times: A powerhouse in the field of visual journalism, John G. Morris, died last week at age 100. He was a photo editor at The Times, and also at Life, National Geographic and The Washington Post.
          At the Times, he was instrumental in presenting on Page 1 two iconic, Pulitzer-winning photos taken during the Vietnam War. One was of a Saigon police chief executing a suspected Viet Cong agent; the other was of children, including a naked girl, fleeing from a U.S. napalm-bomb attack. He successfully fought against a Times policy prohibiting photos of naked people on Page 1. In World War II, he edited Robert Capa's defining photos of the D-Day assault for Life.
In reading his obits, I was surprised to learn that he attended the same Chicago high school that I did.
http://tinyurl.com/ycfxwrnz

------------------------------------------------------

          DAVID FARMER writes:
          The British have a term you may have heard -- "belt and braces." It means having backups or redundancy in risky situations.
          What we call suspenders are called braces in the UK. So if you're wearing those, and you add a belt, you're doubly protected from having your pants fall down. Like this guy:



          Falling pants would be very embarrassing in Britain, because the word means underpants over there.
          And by the way, wearing both belt and suspenders is frowned upon by fashionistas in the UK as it is here. Unless you can prove you need the extra protection. It's probably like getting a gun permit. Who knows, the man in the picture might have one of these strapped to his ankle:



          They keep your socks up too. Or at least one of them.

--------------------------------------------------------

          SUZANNE MACK writes:
          I finally found the photo taken a few days after returning home from hip replacement. I was actually trying to move those lamps to another location when it was snapped.


P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.