Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Anne's an umpbrahile



          Good evening, 919 Gang. Good news: the sun recovered from the eclipse, and the experts say it will reappear tomorrow.

          ANNE KRUEGER wrote:
          Here in Sun Valley, Idaho, the total solar eclipse was as amazing as promised. Totality was at 11:30 a.m. and in the minutes leading up, the air started cooling as the sky slowly darkened. Through our eclipse glasses, we could see the sun was becoming an increasingly small sliver behind the moon. When totality occurred, we could take off our glasses and look at the sun directly. Crickets started chirping and the horse that our hosts own began moving to the part of the barn where he goes to sleep.
          It was a spectacular and incredibly moving experience that exceeded all of the hype. I had read in the New York Times beforehand that it wasn’t worth trying to photograph the eclipse unless you have special equipment. They recommended recording your reactions instead, so I set up my iPhone on a tripod and turned on the video as the eclipse was occurring. You can see it here:
          The only problem, I’ve discovered, is that now that I’ve seen one total eclipse, I want to see more. I am now an umpbrahile, and I want to travel wherever I have to go to see another.

          HANNAH HUI WONG writes:
          A final note on the solar eclipse. I did stay at home, watching coverage on local news stations. About the time it was to occur in our area, I saw some neighbors outside their homes, so I too went outside. We live very close to the high school, so I could hear music and someone making an announcement at the stadium. It seems all the high school students were gathering in the bleachers. As the countdown to the eclipse "totality" began it got strangely quiet, then the cicadas began chirping, and our neighborhood street lights came on, but most thrilling to me was the collective cheer of the students as the sky got very dark.  About two minutes later it was over. Already the excitement builds for another eclipse that will take place in 2024, in Carbondale, Ill.

          WELTON JONES writes:
          Eclipse? Big deal.
          We sat out on the bedroom deck all Monday morning and watched traffic passing below. Not only did we notice no change in the sun that the clouds drifting by don't routinely cause, but we saw no evidence anybody driving by had any interest in the heavens at all. A couple of guys working in our garden weren't sure what we meant by eclipse. So we took this picture with a colander I brought up from the kitchen and called it a day. Not nearly as elaborate or artistic as Don Bartletti, this shows maybe even more images.


          I guess this eclipse fell into the old tradition of heavenly phenomena which are grossly over-hyped and almost inevitably disappointing. I mean there was an entire special section in the New York Times anticipating this brief moment in the sky, but the world around me had to be nudged to register any reaction.
          File it away with the comets and meteor showers and get on with life, say I.

          REX SALMON writes:
          For about two hours today, America was devoted to a celestial celebration called Moon Passover.

          WALT BARANGER writes:
          Here I am at right in Douglas, Wyo., with my granddaughter Callie and some friends from Denver. Pretty cool.


     DON BARTLETTI writes:
     Unable to find the eclipse glasses we used on Palomar Mt. in 1991, my wife Diana chose to stay home – and to look 180° away from today’s Great American Eclipse of 2017.  Diana punched a star pattern of holes in cardboard and I pin-pricked aluminum foil to project the repeated shape of the 60% eclipsed sun.  From 10:30-10:45 am the landscape was noticeably dimmer, like twilight with short shadows.  Birds began to tweet and in the distance and hounds began to howl. 



 --------------------------------------------------

          JAY JOHNSON writes:
          Jack, thanks for injecting a debatable topic into the 919 gang conversation.  Regarding "settled science" and "overwhelming scientific consensus" ... science is never settled (Newtonian vs. Einsteinian physics) and most scientific research (scientifically speaking) is BS.
          I submit for your consideration one funny and two serious examples, the latter two from the BBC and Phys.org, a leading science-research-technology news site.  Stay skeptical, my friends.

          REBER: Einstein’s greatest conflict was with Niels Bohr, an argument that lasted from the late 1920s until Einstein’s death in 1955. No, their topic wasn’t something that could destroy life on earth, but it was a gigantic topic all those years. The point I am making is that while Einstein and Bohr were 180 on the subject of quantum mechanics, they were fast friends. They made their arguments at the Solvang Conferences and in published papers, but they stayed respectful of each other. No name-calling, no sarcasm. Their weapons were facts. The day Bohrs died, on his blackboard there was a drawing Einstein had sent, offered as proof that Bohrs was wrong. Bohrs did not fire back an angry response. At his death he was working on a response built by facts and logic. The situation I see today is there is no Einstein or Bohrs or anyone else of stature to deny mankind’s role in climate change. So whom do I believe, the amazing consensus of science or people such as John Coleman or the Oklahoma congressman who said climate change could not happen because God would not allow it?
          And if I’m wrong? I still win, because the struggle against climate change is making the world a better place. For starters, think of the advantages of getting off fossil fuels.

          JIM OKERBLOM writes:
          Fred Dickey is right about one thing: I am angry. I think he should be, too. People like John Coleman-- supposed "experts" who question scientific research and conclusions absent the expertise for doing so (as Walt Baranger illustrated in his post) -- are con men. I see no reason to suffer fools like Coleman gladly, as Rex seemed to, when it comes to this issue. He and others like him are among the reasons for the embarrassment of the U.S. joining Syria and Nicaragua, and not the rest of the world, in at least trying to address something I believe is vitally important. For me, that's worthy of anger, passion, as well as some sarcasm. (Anything less is boring at this stage.) If that's too heavy-handed for you, Fred, it's OK by me. I would bet we disagree on a lots of things. And thanks for reposting most of my post. Not often you get two bites at the 911 apple! (No attack, unless this is one and I don't see it.)

          ARTHUR SALM writes:
          I wonder how many 919ers fell for the "eclipse" hoax. Astronomers, always looking for ways to cheat the public, announced that the moon was going to block out the sun. Just how dumb do they think we are? Pretty dumb, and I guess they're right about that; I predict that some people were so taken in that they actually believe that they "saw" the "event." (Some of those reporting are paid government/science stooges, of course.)
          Oh, just give us all a break. Half freezing to death in their "observatories"? More like, laughing their asses off (at us!) in their mountaintop discos. And climate scientists bobbing around for months on those clanking, oily, diesel-fumed research vessels (***cough*** yachts ***cough***) in Antarctica (***cough*** Aruba ***cough***)? Please.
          Well, my eyes have been opened. Just a few weeks ago I had a cavity filled, and the dentist wanted to inject me with -- and, of course, charge me for -- an "anesthetic." It'll kill the pain, he said. Right. And who came up with "anesthetics"? Scientists. Working, no doubt, on grant money. I wasn't born yesterday, and when I walked out of that place I had money in my pocket.
          Still, it's easy to understand why scientists are so corrupt. Who wouldn't opt for an easy ride through college -- organic chemistry and advanced calculus are well-known gut courses -- in return for 1) a life of 60-hour weeks subverting the very subject you've devoted your life to, 2) the thrilling give-and-take of faculty politics, and 3) the luxury of a middle-class lifestyle?
          It was SO refreshing to see Tom Gable put those dishonest bloodsuckers in their place. "Scientists have their own agendas," he shrewdly points out "They collude. They apply for grants to pursue areas of personal interest. Funding drives the research. They report data they want to report and withhold data they don't want to report." Truth to power!
          Science. What a racket.

------------------------------------------------

          HANNAH HUI WONG writes:
          Thank you, Pat Flynn. Your words made me smile. I truly enjoyed my years in the newsroom, first starting out in the general pool, and then being a news assistant to the Metro Desk. The day to day responsibilities and tasks were fine, but it was really everyone I worked with that made the memories I cherish. It has been 11 years since we uprooted from San Diego, and now as my husband's Navy career is closing in on retirement, we are semi-settled in the Midwest (he is stationed at the Boeing-St. Louis facility). I will try to contribute a little more often. I've always been on the quiet side, observing more than being verbal, but now I always encourage my boys that they should never be too shy to speak up in their classes and share their ideas. It has always stuck with me that I failed a social studies unit in 9th grade because verbal participation was a huge part of the grade, and I felt so intimidated by my classmates that I barely said two sentences. I'm sure glad the 919 Gang is not graded.

----------------------------------------------

          ROGER CONLEE writes:
          The San Diego Festival of Books is this Saturday at Liberty Station from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.  It’s sponsored by the Union-Tribune and KPBS.  Scores of authors from all genres will be at the McMillan Events Center, discussing and signing books.  I’ll be part of a panel called “From Battlefield to Bookshelves” starting at 12:40 p.m.  I hope you’ll be able to attend. 

------------------------------------------------

          MICHAEL CAVNA writes:
          Ross Levinsohn named new publisher and CEO of Los Angeles Times as top editors ousted - LA Times





P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.