Saturday, August 5, 2017

Good sir



          Good evening, 919 Gang. The U-T ran a very extensive obit on Don Freeman, starting on A-1 (yes, page one) in Saturday’s paper.


          MICHAEL CAVNA writes:
          Don Freeman always called me "Doctor." I called him "Good sir," sometimes with a half-nod and a rolling arm flourish, like Ed McMahon introducing the mighty Carson. He knew it was a gesture replete not just with respect, but also nostalgic context. We shared a love of classic TV, and to me, with great affection, he was the mighty Freeman.
          I may have been his editor, but like any good TV sidekick, I was also his conspirator: Our job was to keep the audience informed and entertained, and my job included helping to ensure that Don's words shined in the best possible center light. My, what a personally rewarding gig.
          I edited arts and entertainment and media columnists daily for 15 years before becoming one myself, and I never went a week without drawing upon something I learned from, or discovered in service to, the mighty Don.
          When I later edited Tom Shales's TV columns, I drew upon Don. When I later edited Marc Fisher's radio columns, I drew upon Don. And just last month, in writing a column about "Maus" creator Art Spiegelman, I cited an opinion that became crystallized for me only when I heard it from the lips of Don. (That opinion, which I subsequently repeated to Ken Burns, crediting Don himself: "America's three greatest original cultural contributions have been jazz, baseball and the newspaper comic strip.")
          The three toughest words I ever had to say to Don, because of deadline, were: "Can't talk now." Tough, because I loved listening to his stories, which really is a ritual of honoring the man and his many amazing experiences. (Don soon got my cue wordlessly, like a base runner who anticipates the base coach's signs before he even throws them down.)
          What a century Don so fully lived. Even director Robert Zemeckis, master of the "Forrest Gump" celebrity splice, would have a hard time believing Don's highlight reel as a journalist.
          Several of my favorite Don anecdotes from our hundreds of joyful hours of conversation:
          * Don once took one of his then-young sons (John will know which) to a Ted Geisel interview. Turns out, the children's author was so awkward and unsure of himself around kids -- unable to make small-fry talk -- that instead of trying to converse, "Dr. Seuss" just kept offering the stuffed boy more cookies and milk.
          * Don once asked then-actor Reagan his age. The rouge-cheeked Reagan, sitting there on a San Diego tarmac in uniformed costume, savvily laid out why he didn't provide that information, explaining how certain milestone ages altered the types of roles you would be offered, as well as how the movie-going public viewed you. Don recalled how Reagan warmly won you over to keeping his side of the secret.
          * I asked Don about his famed '50s Elvis interview, when Col. Tom Parker waved Don toward the future King. Don, that lover of so many things Southern, recalled how profoundly polite and humble and gentlemanly Elvis came across.
          Mostly, from Don, I was reminded how it behooves a journalist to be culturally curious about most everything. Once, for instance, we were waxing on about Midwestern and Southern barbecue sauces, and I shared that my mother, a native of Cape Girardeau, Mo., always proudly pronounced her home state "Missour-RAW." Don then offered the best theory I've heard, then and now: "The closer you get to St. Loui-EE, the nearer the pronunciation gets to Missour-REE."
          I don't think I ever told Don this, but when my family moved from Northern California to San Diego during my teen years, I used to hang out in bookstores whenever I wasn't on the courts or diamond, and I must have been 15 when I stumbled upon Don's column collections (including "Flea") in University City's Bo Tree Books. I didn't have the money to buy it, so I sat there in the aisle, glued, cover to cover. What a glorious way to make your living.
          Two decades later, as his editor, I felt privileged to befriend the man I had known through his columns for so long. I got the '90s model Don, the man clad in sweaters and khakis and vintage stories.
          Frankie Laine's pipes. Dean Martin's catcher's mitt-sized handshake. Bambi Alworth's footwork. Andy Griffith's folksy timing. Don recalled and regaled, and in doing so, seemed utterly alive and engaged.
          Don once offered to arrange to have my nearly 800 U-T sports-cartoon originals housed in the collection of the San Diego Hall of Champions. The arrangement ultimately didn't pan out, but Don's generosity of effort was above and beyond.
          I can't imagine what I would have missed and lost professionally if Don hadn't decided to accept me. I was damned lucky. I learned as much from him as my own storyteller of a grandfather, who died several years ago just shy of 99.
          Newsrooms need their Don Freemans, perhaps now as much as ever, to teach and enrich the next generations. Thank you deeply, Don. While I was splicing commas or tweaking your lede -- aiming to be surgical in my precision -- you always brought it back to the passion.
          I offer a deep bow and a rolling arm flourish to you, Don. Strike up the band and fire up the audience. You are forever the Mighty Freeman, my friend.

          NOEL OSMENT writes:
          I am so sad to hear we have lost Don. An important part of my retirement years were our monthly lunches and Don's stories and remembrances. And his appreciation of others. Saw him last about a year ago (??) maybe more in Escondido. Several of us lunched with him and Mary and he still had his tales.
          He was a perfectionist in his writing and when, for a time, I processed his column, I appreciated his perfection - he said exactly what he wanted said, no words wasted and, without fail, the exact length. Nor did he suffer fools playing about with his writing.

          DAVID ELLIOTT writes:
          My penny's worth on Don Freeman:
          Don was probably a gent of the "old school" even in his brimming youth. I relished his zest in later years, whether in a vein of nostalgia, celebration, jokey bantering or indignation (he was no fan of the Copley regime in its late descent). Often he'd come to my cubby-hole on the fourth floor to do some kibbitzing or venting. We (mostly he) would shmooze on at length about celebrities, San Diego, movies, etc., to the amusement and saintly, tested patience of my dear colleagues crammed into the same metal box (Arthur Salm, Alison DaRosa, Mark Maynard). For me, Don was an ace, and also a treasure trail to the show-biz of my '50s to '70s youth. Sadly, I never could match his visits with Victor Mature.
          It took me some years after arriving at the Union (1984), often by finding old library folders, or his books at Wahrenbrock's, to realize that Don Freeman was a pillar of S.D. journalism and even had a wider, well-earned reputation. In his long prime, he was one of those fabled columnists who really mattered in their towns, like Royko and Harris in Chicago, Sullivan and Breslin and Kempton in New York, Holmes in Houston, Osborne in L.A., Caen in San Francisco, whose verve and savvy were considered essential fixtures. As a writer he was a gifted craftsman, and a newsman whose success did not congeal into pomposity (he kept his humor). As the regime steeply declined, the rather dismissive treatment shown Don by certain "chiefs" (without a feather of his achievement) struck me as unusually gauche. Valerie Scher, Don's fond colleague (and my wife) joins in sending our deep respects to John and the rest of Don's family.

          CHUCK BOYD writes:
          When I was the newest photographer in the Photo Lab in the sixties, Don came in, introduced himself and sat for portraits by me to perhaps replace his column picture.
          He later said he liked them but, grinned and added, I didn't catch that "twinkle in his eye."

          DON BAUDER writes:
          There are so many things to say about Don Freeman -- a friend to so many people in the newsroom. He was my friend, too. A year or so ago, his son John asked me to call Don. I did, and we had splendid chat. I was amazed that he was so lucid in his 90s. The mental agility that made him such a deft writer had not deserted him. Today, people are concerned that the U-T might not give him an appropriate sendoff. If so, there is irony there. The U-T is now under the control of a company named tronc, based in Chicago. That company grew out of the Chicago Tribune, where Don worked in his early days. He used to tell stories about "the Colonel," Robert R. McCormick, the fabled newsman who ran the Tribune. (His family owned it.) His stories matched those by Dick Desick, who had so many tales about "the Chief," or William Randolph Hearst, whom Dick worked for over so many years.

          MICHAEL GRANT writes:
          Thank you, Carl Larsen, for the Don Freeman columns. To me, his style was simple. A short, declarative sentence, with something in ii. That sentence leading to the next one, also short and declarative with something in it. A series of these sentences, coupled like a train headed for Chicago, ending when the column ended. He never got in the way of the story. How did he do that?

          REBER: I believe all of Don’s columns have been preserved. He zipped into my office one day with a look that was a lot brighter than his usual smile. “Well, I did it,” he said with about six pounds of glee. What did you do, Don? He said that he had saved all his columns; that he had boxes of them, and that he had found them a new home. He said he donated the entire collection to San Diego State.

P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.