Good evening, 919 Gang. Two members, noting that I had
published Rex Salmon’s post about climate change, asked if I had revoked the no-politics
rule in this forum. Definitely not. Climate change is a matter for the scientists.
Oh, I know, politicians yammer about it, and some folks say Democrats believe
one way and Republicans the other about climate change. That is baloney.
By a gigantic margin, the world’s scientists agree that
climate change is real and that humans are largely responsible. I’m confident
that some of the American scientists are Republicans and some are Democrats.
So, among the people who have the education and experience to really know what
they are talking about, Republicans and Democrats agree right down the line on
climate change. And, of course, the rest of the world’s scientists – Germans,
Russians, Japanese, Chinese, French, etc. – agree with them although they don’t
belong to either party.
So, this is not a political issue at all. Listen to the
scientists, ignore the politicians.
JIM OKERBLOM writes:
The problem with Rex Salmon's commentary about John Coleman
and climate change is simple: nearly all climate scientists disagree with
Coleman. Does Rex Salmon think none of these scientists is aware of the core
drilled in Antarctica he mentions, or the data in the "floor to ceiling
chart" at the Birch Aquarium? I think not. Because Rex can find some
"evidence" he concludes refutes climate change, it is a stretch to
think these are secrets to the scientific community. I would suggest Rex stick
with what he knows, and not what he has no expertise in. Leave the science to
the scientists, not to amateurs quibbling about things they know nothing about.
That should include Coleman and Rex Salmon.
Just in case I am wrong, I want to be the first to nominate
Rex for a Nobel Prize. The headline should read: "Retired journalist
solves climate change issue by visiting an aquarium and reading an
article." Until that happens, I am siding with the climate scientists.
--------------------------------------------------------------
HANNAH HUI WONG writes:
The Great American Total Solar Eclipse is coming indeed! We live west of metro St. Louis, in St. Peters, in St. Charles County. The eclipse is all we hear about, and a mom in front of me in the supermarket line said she must be the only person who is not interested to see it, but she still bought "eclipse cupcakes." The local TV news stations yesterday began posting a countdown clock during broadcasts. Unfortunately the top story this morning was that yet another type of eclipse glasses was considered unsafe, so I guess that will make people who got those scramble to find proper ones. Following that, was a news story of a man selling eclipse glasses online at $200 or more a pair! My kids will get their solar eclipse glasses at school, and I picked up a free pair from the local library branch.
I've noticed an increase of M-DOT signs, usually used for bigger road alerts on the highways, posted on main roads in our area reminding everyone to take extra care driving on Monday. There will be numerous eclipse party gatherings at state parks and public spaces throughout the region, with the larger events to feature food trucks and entertainment throughout the day too, but I'll probably stay close to home.
The photo that I have included is the part of the eclipse preparations that I find amusing, as well as the earlier mention of the cupcake buying mom.
I have two teen boys, and I make frequent trips to the supermarket. It's very interesting to see things like Sun Chips and Moon Pies, even dark chocolate items, used in creative ways. There has also been an increase in black and white (or half-and-half) cookies in the bakery section, pushing the regional-loved Gooey Butter Cake to the side this week. Tonight I'll swing by our local Krispy Kreme to get some eclipse donuts (chocolate glazed) because the boys have friends over to play video games. I wish everyone safe eclipse viewing!
STEVE
PROSINSKI writes:
Responding to Carl Larsen's prompt for
eclipse coverage... We'll be watching the show from a decommissioned
fire-lookout tower in the Bighorn Mountains outside my hometown of Buffalo,
Wyo. The numbers are attractive -- $50 a night rental, 9,600-foot elevation. No
power or water, but great views. The mountaintop is just outside the
70-mile-wide swath of totality, but if the weather cooperates, it should be a
great experience.
The big story leading up to the
eclipse has been all the fires burning across the region. Here's my Thursday
photo of a Billings, Mont., sunrise. Smoky skies have added color to our
sunrises and sunsets for several weeks.
ANNE
KRUEGER writes:
I’m in Sun Valley, Idaho with my
husband, Kim, to see the solar eclipse. Kim, who saw two total solar eclipses
in Java and Cabo San Lucas, has been planning this trip for more than a year.
Initially, I wasn’t very interested, but now that the event is drawing closer,
I’m excited. To prepare for the eclipse, I’ve been reading "American
Eclipse" by David Baron, about the 1898 eclipse that swept across the
western United States. Baron says he became an umbraphile, an eclipse chaser,
since he saw his first total eclipse in 1998 in Aruba. He has a great
description of what a solar eclipse feels like: “In the closing seconds before
the onset of a total solar eclipse, darkness falls with disorienting rapidity.
It can feel as if you are losing your eyesight, or perhaps your sanity. The
dimming light does not just surround you; it swallows you. The very ground
seems to give way.”
We will have about a minute of
totality here in Sun Valley. If we drove about 50 miles north, we would have 2
minutes 15 seconds of totality, but with more than 50,000 eclipse-watchers
expected in the area, we decided to avoid the traffic and view the eclipse with
our friends here. I’m looking forward to it.
MICHAEL GRANT writes:
In the early 1990s, Charlie Ross and I co-authored a
coffee-table book, “San Diego Tapestry,” for Memphis-based Towery Press. On
page 118 is a photo of a full “annular eclipse” of the sun, low on the horizon,
off the coast of Encinitas. Jerry Rife, you were the book’s photo editor, and
you may have taken this photo, which is striking and beautiful. Any chance of
showing it to us, as part of our “eclipse day” coverage?
Dusting off Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine (when she's gone)" for the big event Monday. Thanks to the folks at the WashPo for coming up with this playlist.
Can't forget the Fab Four and "Here Comes the Sun" and these lyrics from Adele ("I Miss You")
I miss you when the lights
go out
It illuminates all of my
doubts
Pull me in, hold me tight
Don't let go, baby give me
light
I miss you when the lights go
out
It illuminates all of my
doubts
Pull me in, hold me tight
Don't let go, baby give me
light
------------------------------------------------------
SANDY YOUNG
writes:
Look what I found in a box in my garage. JD Crowe was
wonderful to let me have this cartoon. My flatbed scanner would only allow me
to scan a portion of the cartoon. Sorry JD. Anyway, I thought I would share
this with the gang; Might bring back some memories.
------------------------------------------------------------------
It's fair to say that long-time U-T rock music critic George Varga over the years has given us his venom on rock groups such as Whitesnake and The Rattlers. But that was nothing like the critter he encountered as a volunteer in Mission Trails Regional Park. The Mission Times Courier fills in the story.
P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.
