Thursday, August 24, 2017

Gather for Nancy Ray



          Good evening, 919 Gang. Hope lots of folks show up for this:

          GINA LUBRANO writes:
          Nancy Ray's family is planning a gathering for her Wednesday, Aug. 30 between 4 and 6 p.m. at Bully's. If you can make it, please RSVP by tomorrow to the address below so they will know how many to plan for. Here's the essential info:
          Wednesday, August 30 4:00 – 6:00
          Bully’s East Prime Bistro
          2401 Camino Del Rio South
          San Diego, CA 92108
          Please RSVP by August 25 to RememberingNancyRay@gmail.com
          If you would like to make a toast or share a memory, please let us know when you RSVP to RememberingNancyRay@gmail.com.

-------------------------------------------------------

          MICHAEL BURGE writes:
          Visiting Kyoto is a lot like visiting Paris. In each city you come across a church or palace so splendid that it takes your breath away. We spent one day in Kyoto, which was not enough time to visit all 1,600 Buddhist temples and 400 Shinto shrines. Nor did we visit the grand Kyoto Imperial Palace or stroll along the Philosopher’s Walk, where we could have pondered life’s great mysteries and solved the world’s pressing problems. Maybe we should have, considering the world’s current condition. But I digress.
          Like Parisians, Kyoto residents are proud of their city’s global heritage and love to show it off. They are comfortable with its status as a unique example of the artistic heights that humans can scale, given enough time, dedication and money. Yes, money not only makes the world go round, but it pays for all that lovely art and architecture. I digress again. Sorry.
          We took a cab from the Kyoto train station to Kinkaku-ji, a Buddhist temple coated in shimmering gold leaf. (I learned one piece of Japanese while there, and that is that “ji” means temple.) I was in the seat next to the cabbie, and my wife and Japanese-speaking son sat in the back seat. The cabbie immediately struck up a conversation with me in halting but competent English. Beyond the aforementioned “ji,” I have no Japanese. He picked up right away that we were Americans and said he had been to the United States and visited San Francisco, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon and other places. When he asked where we were from and I told him San Diego, he lit up. “I learn English in La Jolla,” he said. “I like San Diego very much.”
          He drove us to Kinkaku-ji, gave us a map of Kyoto, recommended a couple of places within walking distance of each other, and set us on our way. He was most helpful. As I got out of the cab and paid him, I said, “The next time you’re in San Diego be sure to look us up,” not sure that he would get my joke. As I closed the cab door, I could hear him howling with laughter, so I think he did.
          Kinkaku-ji, or Temple of the Golden Pavilion, is a storied place. It was built in 1397 by Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, an accomplished shogun, or military dictator, as his retirement villa. Shoguns don’t really retire, even when they say they do, so when Yoshimitsu died in 1409 he really retired. The villa and its grounds were converted to a Zen Buddhist temple after his death, as the shogun had wished.
          Kinkaku-ji survived Japan’s frequent earthquakes and fires until 1950, when a deranged novice monk set it aflame and attempted suicide. The monk survived, but not so the temple. It was rebuilt in 1955. The story of the monk and the temple was retold in Yukio Mishima’s novel, “The Temple of the Golden Pavilion.” Mishima, one of Japan’s leading authors, was a staunch nationalist who attempted to stage a coup to restore the emperor to glory in 1970. But it all failed and Mishima committed suicide.
          None of this weirdness detracts from Kinkaku-ji’s splendor. It is best photographed in the snow, preferably at dawn, but it doesn’t snow in July so I can’t give you that. I did my best in the midsummer sun.



----------------------------------------------

          CLARK BROOKS writes:
          About the eclipse. It was not overhyped. All the hype was about TOTAL eclipse. San Diego's 60 percent eclipse would be nice, but as Steve Prosinski said, even 97 percent leaves you wanting. I did not know this, but I saw it Monday.
          Enroute to total eclipse here in Greenville, S.C., we got about every possible percentage of eclipse, and they were all cool. The moon's first tiny bite from the sun was neat. The progression to total, all sizes of crescents, the Palmetto State symbol Chuck Boyd talked about, all of that was very sweet.
          But here is the thing about total eclipses, which Anne Krueger mentioned: THE GLASSES COME OFF. When the glasses come off is what the hype was about. I saw Venus bright as anything, off to the right of the amazing and blazing ring around the moon. And much more the glasses would have blocked out.
          I am sorry the sky was not clear in Charleston, Chuck Boyd. In Greenville, forecasters said the chance of the sun blocking the eclipse was 35 percent. So about the odds that Tony Gwynn would hit safely in any given at-bat, which was scary.
          We were on the beautiful grounds of the Roper Mountain Science Center. Two hours before total eclipse, the sky was clear. Clouds began to creep in, and at the rate they were going, it looked to be about 50-50. But then the clouds receded, and we had a perfectly clear sky.
          We had friends visiting from Denver. Like Anne Krueger, we talked about traveling wherever we had to go for the next total eclipse.

-------------------------------------------------

          JAY JOHNSON writes:
          Dear Jim Okerblom. Since you didn't name me, I'll make it clear that I wrote "...most scientific research (scientifically speaking) is BS." I'm doubling down on that. There are many types of research but all are built on scientific method and reproducibility. Here's lede of BBC article (yeah, I know the BBC is a notorious right-wing rag ;-). Emphasis added:
>>>Science is facing a "reproducibility crisis" where more than two-thirds of researchers have tried and failed to reproduce another scientist's experiments, research suggests.
          From his lab at the University of Virginia's Centre for Open Science, immunologist Dr Tim Errington runs The Reproducibility Project, which attempted to repeat the findings reported in five landmark cancer studies. ... Experiments are supposed to be replicable. Sadly nothing, it seems, could be further from the truth.
          After meticulous research involving painstaking attention to detail over several years (the project was launched in 2011), the team was able to confirm only two of the original studies' findings. Two more proved inconclusive and in the fifth, the team completely failed to replicate the result.
          "It's worrying because replication is supposed to be a hallmark of scientific integrity," says Dr Errington.<<<<
          How many cancer patients have died because clinicians relied on that research to select treatment pathways?
          I have a master's degree in Communication Technology and Intercultural Communication. I've done social science research. I know what P values are. I've worked in biopharma for 30 years, which is built on the gold standard of experiments, the randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study. I lived with a Ph.D for 20 years and socialized with dozens (hundreds?) of professors and grad students under pressure to publish research. I'm woke.
          If you read the second article (from Phy.org), you'd see more support for why most published research is BS, with evidence (again, emphasis added):
>>>>There is a replicability crisis in science – unidentified "false positives" are pervading even our top research journals. ... No one knows what proportion of published papers contain such incorrect or overstated results, but there are signs that the proportion is not small.
          The epidemiologist John Ioannidis gave the best explanation for this phenomenon in a famous paper in 2005, provocatively titled "Why most published research results are false". One of the reasons Ioannidis gave for so many false results has come to be called "p hacking", which arises from the pressure researchers feel to achieve statistical significance.<<<<
How many times have you read a headline about new research report that contradicts the research findings that made headlines previously, which contradicted the results of previous research and on and on. That's why this video is so true and so funny This Is Why Eating Healthy Is Hard (Time Travel Dietician)
          I'm not anti-intellectual. I'm anti-sloppiness, anti-scientific fraud, anti-"fudging numbers to make my research paper publishable" and anti-gullible media.

          JAMES O’CONNELL writes:
          I can't speak for my friend Jim Okerblom, but I suspect his frustration springs from being unable to change the minds of those who believe in God but don't accept climate change. Jim probably finds it frustrating that they choose to believe in something for which science has found no proof while refusing to accept something for which the scientific proof is overwhelming.

          REBER: We’ve been talking about climate change and scientific BS, and I was surprised to see those topics come together in the U-T today. Another study has come to the conclusion that ExxonMobil was aware very early that climate change was real and humans were responsible, but went on spending millions on advertising questioning those facts.
          The company’s website says they were among the first to tackle the question of human influence on climate change. So why all the BS advertising based on fake science? Got to protect the bottom line you know.
          ExxonMobil was first brought to court on this in Texas, and the company won that case after the judge reminded the accusers they were in oil country.
          The company has filed suit to block climate change fraud investigations by the attorneys general of Massachusetts and New York. And it has told the New York attorney general that seven years of emails from former CEO Rex Tillerson have been deleted. All those emails were written using an alias. Why does the CEO of a giant company have to hide his identity?
          The U-T story reports that the initial investigation was by the Los Angeles Times and InsideClimate News. InsideClimate News was a Pulitzer finalist and won several national awards for its coverage of Exxon’s deception
          And we can’t talk about InsideClimate News without mentioning 919ers Susan White and David Hasmyer.

-----------------------------------------------------

          KENT FREELAND writes:
          For two days and nights, I have been watching TV news reports, both local and national, that the 7th Fleet commander has been relieved of command because of recurring ship collisions. Only one report (CBS Evening News) included his name. Most of the others included his photo, but not his name. What's up with that? Are we now giving naval officers the same anonymity we give rape victims? Why?

          REBER: I don’t know, Kent, but today’s U-T named the commander and ran his photo. As I recall, he was identified as an ace fighter pilot. Does it seem strange that an airplane pilot would be in charge of all those ships?

------------------------------------------------------------

          JAMIE RENO forwards:
          Senator McCain’s Cancer Spurs Congress, Advocates to Action on Agent Orange Glioblastoma Claims


P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.