Saturday, August 12, 2017

Next stop: Nara



          Good evening, 919 Gang. A couple of alpacas came through our gate to pay a visit this morning. I didn’t get their names, but I’ve never seen them before so I know they are new in the neighborhood. If you don’t live in the Andes, do alpacas serve any purpose?

-------------------------------------------------------

          MICHAEL BURGE writes:
          Although Nara is not as renowned as Kyoto as a tourist destination, it has a deep history and is a wonderful place to visit. Nara served as Japan's first capital after the nation was unified in the eighth century, and it was also the national center for Buddhism. The Buddhist influence was so strong that the emperor moved the capital, settling in to Kyoto in 794. The Buddhist influence remains strong in Nara.
          After we disembarked the train (you basically take a train everywhere in Japan), we strolled about a mile to the grounds of the Todai-ji, or "Great Eastern Temple," which was first built in 752. There have been several versions, and the present structure dates to the 17th century. The massive temple is regarded as the largest wooden structure in the world. Inside is a towering bronze Buddha, flanked by Bodhisattvas.
          Thousands of people of all nationalities visited the temple grounds the day we were there, although it appears to be a favorite destination for Japanese. The place is decidedly festive, as deer mingle and beg from tourists, and vendors sell crackers to feed the deer, which prompts the deer to beg some more. It was delightfully zany.
          I expected to find an air of solemnity inside the "Big Buddha Hall," but I was struck by the noise and bustle. In one corner schoolchildren were staging a drama that was completely inscrutable to me. Some people showed homage to the shrine, but for the most part it was no more solemn than a high school football game in Texas. Except for the heat and humidity, which was quite oppressive, I enjoyed every minute.

The enormous wooden building at Todai-ji that houses the bronze Great Buddha statue.



The Great Buddha statue and a Bodhisvattva.
This view is from the steps of Nigatsu-do, the "Hall of the Second Month," which is one of several buildings and temples spread throughout the grounds.
-----------------------------------------------------------

          PRESTON TUREGANO writes:
          There’s everything and more on Wikipedia about the Far East and how it got its name. And you’re right, Jack; it started with Europeans about 800 years ago. I think 13th century Venetian Italian merchant/adventurer (and journalist because he kept a journal of his travels) Marco Polo helped greatly to coin “far East” from “East Asia,” which was “Cathay” (China) at the end of the legendary Silk Road. As for California, its western edge faces the eastern Pacific, but because of our navy and warships’ westward deployments we hear mostly about “WestPac,” the western Pacific.

------------------------------------------------------------

          DAVID FARMER writes:
          I incorrectly defined "lassitude" here yesterday. I should have written that it is a "cocky, defiant, or arrogant manner displayed by teen-aged girls in Scotland."

-------------------------------------------------------------

          REBER: Continuing the celebration, we wish Happy Birthday (Aug. 13) to Larry Thomas and Sandy Young.


P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.