Friday, August 4, 2017

Don Freeman tribunes



          Good evening, 919 Gang. Tributes to Don Freeman are pouring in.

          BONNIE ROGERS writes:
          I write this with great sadness. Don Freeman is gone. And so is my fantasy that someday our paths would cross again. That we would talk and reminisce, and he would remember something that I had forgotten and we would laugh together about the absurdity of it all.
          We worked together daily for three and a half years, not so long in the great scheme of things, but significant in its timing. Don was just beginning his life as a columnist and was not yet comfortable with the power of his voice. I was a blank slate. He was a perfectionist. I was 17.
          Our working relationship was not exactly full of conflict, but it was replete with struggle. His for perfection. Mine for survival. We were not friends. We did not share the ready office banter I enjoyed with others in The San Diego Union news room in 1953. But we came to share a common purpose -- each doing our best.
          He was able to convince me that correcting the radio logs in 6-point agate was the most important job on the paper. "Look," he said. "If there is a mistake on Page One it may result in two or three Letters to the Editor. But if you list a popular program at 9 p.m. and it was actually on at 8, what happens? Six hundred people light up the switchboard wanting to know why they missed it."
          "There is never any excuse for a mistake," Don said. "There may be reasons, but there is never any excuse."
          My job was to see that his column was perfect. I pulled the proofs, corrected them and read the corrected proofs to him on the phone after he went home in the evenings. I was not a journalism student and writing was not part of my planned career trajectory. All I learned about writing, which did become my career, I learned from reading Don Freeman every day for three and a half years.
          I couldn't have had a better teacher.
          Jack, I am attaching a piece I wrote here six years ago about what it was like working for Don. I hope you have room to run it again.

          BONNIE ROGERS wrote (in 2011):
          I am still savoring the many memories sparked by John Freeman's wonderful photo of his father, Don Freeman, and Elvis. My memories are not of Elvis, however, but of Don. April 1956 was during the time period I worked for Don. He seemed very old to me then. I was only 17 when I started as his assistant in February of 1953. I think he was in his late 20s, or even (Heaven forbid!) 30. An enormous gap. He was just beginning his long career as a columnist. I was just beginning period. We both had a lot to learn.
          I believe Don had been a sports writer on a Chicago paper and on the rim as a copy editor when he first joined The San Diego Union. When I was a copygirl in the summer of 1952 a gal named Helen Zugelder did the radio and TV beat, but I don't think she had a column. When I found myself without funds to pay for my tuition for a second semester at San Diego State, I went right to the then city editor (Cony Moulton?). Helen was gone, and Don now had the radio and TV slot. Did I want to work for him? Great, says I. But let's be clear. Are you paying me for my time or my productivity? The City Editor was startled. What do you mean, he asked? Well, I replied, if you are paying me for my time, you tell me when to be here and when to go. I do the best I can in between. If you are paying me for my productivity, you tell me what I have to accomplish and what the deadlines are and I do it, and I do it right, no matter how much time or trouble it takes. (I think he was somewhat bemused at this smart aleck kid challenging the work world.) But he said, he wanted my productivity, he didn't care when I came or went and the only thing I had to do was make Don Freeman happy. Seemed easy to me, until I got into it.
          The first several months of our arrangement were hell on wheels for both of us. I couldn't afford to quit, and, I was later told, he couldn't afford to fire me. Several years later those in the know told me that Don had become radio/TV editor in January and had demanded an assistant to do the logs. They said he drove away (fired? quit?) four girls in four weeks before I appeared on the scene. They said he had been told if he couldn't get along with me he could "do his own damn logs." I don't know how true any of that was, but what I do know is that the copy desk wouldn't touch his stuff, neither would the proof readers and that he had been black-listed by the stereotypers' union from setting foot on the composing room floor. Thus, he was dependent on me to perform some or all of those duties. Perfectly. And I didn't know a damn thing.
          I learned, and it was a pretty steep learning curve. I learned proof readers' marks, how to clean up copy, where to go in composing and look for his column (reading the metal galleys up-side-down without touching them) to get the proof pulled. Then to call Don at home and read the corrected proof to him on the phone, with meaning, no flat delivery allowed. I learned that good copy has rhythm and cadence, that it flows. That it is written for the ear as well as the eye. Years later I would have found the change from print to broadcast insurmountable if I had not had this experience with Don.
          As he told me once, "There is never any excuse for an error. Sometimes there are reasons, but there is never any excuse."
          He expected perfection. Of himself ... and of me. He was not a teacher, however. Sometimes I would write something three or four times, only to have it flung in my face (once with such vigor and lack of aim that it knocked my glue pot off the table so it smashed on the floor). Just tell me what is wrong with it? I would plead. No dice. I had to figure it out. I also ran errands. Feed the nickels in the parking meter when he parked on the street. Run over to the deli below Third and E St. for his favorite peppered pork sandwiches. One time he sent me to retrieve a large framed mirror from a furniture store at Ninth and Broadway. I almost had heat stroke carrying the thing back to Union Editorial, and the city editor sent me home in a taxi to recover. Don was told not to use me for "non business" errands in the future.
          In my teens I was subject to severe migraine headaches, and navigating those logs in 6-point agate when I could hardly see was a sometime agony. Don was truly supportive in those instances. He told me he had left Chicago for San Diego because he had headaches, too. When mine were really bad he would weigh in on the logs until I could handle them again.
          It was clear to me that I had to teach him how to be a boss. He had to teach me how to really work. I think we both became good at it after a while and very comfortable with each other, but the beginning was truly rocky. He would scream at me "Get your g.. d... keister back here!" on the phone. And I would scream back, " I'll have you know, Mr. Freeman, that girls don't have keisters, they have fannies. And if you want mine, you better say please!" Sometimes, after a particularly difficult exchange, I would flee to the ladies room, lock myself in a stall and pound on the metal partitions while screaming every swear word I knew. (The list was considerable, as previous messages in this Rebergram will attest.) Then I would walk calmly back into Union Editorial and go on about my work as if nothing had transpired.
          Don also wrote a column in Downbeat magazine. I had nothing to do with that, but Don was great about sharing passes to various musical events. In the 1950s there was a famous tour called Jazz At The Philharmonic which played at San Diego High's Russ Auditorium when it was in town. I got to see Ella Fitzgerald, Cab Calloway, the Red Norvo Trio, Red Nichols and the Five Pennies, Woody Herman, Harry James. As a starving student, this was simply wonderful.
          I also had some wisdom to share. I recall when reading one of his columns to him I encountered a word which I had never seen before. What does that mean, I asked. He told me. "Well, you should pick a different way to say what you mean or your readers won't get it," I told him. He became apoplectic. Who was I to challenge his writing? Who do you think reads the TV column in this newspaper? I retorted. I am a college student in the 99th verbal percentile, and if I don't understand it, who will? He changed his copy.
          But the scope of my ignorance was also immense. Our style in the logs was to list programs on the hour, quarter hours and half hours. Thus 11:00, 11:15, 11:30, 11:45, etc. I would check the pasted up dummy against the lists sent to me by the radio and TV stations. Only for very important singular programming would we insert a listing at 11:35 for instance. One afternoon as I walked toward my desk Don was practically jumping up and down and beet-red in the face. He was really mad about something. What's wrong? I ventured. When he finally became coherent enough for me to understand that I had left one of those stray off-the-quarter-hour listings in the logs for three weeks, I was still puzzled. "Nobody told me to take it out," I said. "How do you know it isn't still running?" Don slumped back in his chair, rolled his eyes and laid his head down on his desk in defeat. It was the World Series.


          KEN STONE writes: John Freeman graciously gave me permission to post a version of his obituary for Don on Times of San Diego:
          John is a magnificent writer himself. His rich and revelatory account of a great life deserved wider dissemination.
          I'm sorry I didn't know Don better during my U-T years.

          ALAN MILLER writes:
          Don was a consummate gentleman with a gimlet eye for detail. He was also one of the nicest guys I have ever encountered. He routinely stopped by my fourth-floor office on the way to lunch and howled whenever I would cite a salty military phrase to describe a situation at the paper or the world in general. His personal stories were choice, but he never made himself the focal point when discussing the many celebs he met. He would patiently listen to me rant about the Spanos family heist over the football stadium seat guarantee and how the U-T shilled for that scam. Rather that counter with an incisive argument, Don would simply smile and say, "I like football." God bless this good and gentle man.
         
          NICK CANEPA writes:
          I don't know exactly when the cows come home, but I could talk Don Freeman until then. A great man. A gifted man. An inquisitive man. A friend. A marvelous teller of stories. We probably had too many things in common, so we had a billion conversations. Sports. Music. Old movies. Fascination with old Hollywood. I can't say I've known anyone who loved our business more. He loved the newspaper game, enjoyed coming into the office, where he'd move around and gather inspiration for a column "subject." I'm sure he'd hate it today. Our office is like a ghost town.
It's hard to think of any Hollywood great he didn't interview. He was at Bob Hope's home for Bob's 100th birthday party. He was not a fan of Danny Kaye and Dick Clark, I know. Don was great friends with Ed Sullivan, and on his annual trip to New York they would visit. On three occasions Ed introduced Don at the beginning of his show on national television. Once, Sullivan asked Don what he had planned, and Don told him he was headed over to Philly to interview Dick Clark. Sullivan didn't like Dick, which surprised Don. Upon his return to New York, Don went to see Ed and was asked how the interview went with Clark. "He worked on his fingernails and didn't look at me the entire time."
He loved Dean Martin. He asked Dino if he ever took a singing lesson. "F*** no," was the reply. I asked him who was his favorite interview. "Sinatra."
          Don used to travel with the Chargers in the old AFL days and of course was great friends with Jack Murphy. I'm sure a lot of people don't know this, but Don told me that, after Jack passed away, Herb Klein asked Don if he wanted to be the Union's sports editor and lead columnist. Don declined. He would have been a great sports editor.
Following ever road trip I went on, Don would come up to my desk. First question: "Where'd you eat?" Food was a favorite subject. We loved George Pernicano and lamented his closing of Casa Di Baffi. I would regale Don with Pernicano road stories from Chargers trips. He took me along for a lunch with Frankie Laine in Little Italy. Fascinating.
Don had a strange affinity for the South. He loved "The Music Man." I told him quite often that he liked all things hayseed. It's amazing, but we hadn't talked much until the merger. We often talked columns. We determined, and I think we were right, that being a great writer doesn't mean you can write a column. Column writing is a knack. You've either got it or you don't.
          Anyway, I could go on but I won't. He called me "pro," and I called him "Maestro," which he was. How he never won a Pulitzer for his incredible body of work remains a mystery. If he worked for the New York Times or Post he might have won three. He basically invented the media column after being brought in from Chicago to work the copy desk. If they named a stadium after Jack Murphy they could name a theater after Don Freeman.
          Damn, I loved this man. So many stories, so many laughs. Newspapering was a joy. Ciao, Maestro. RIP.

          NINA GARIN writes:
          I was saddened to read about Don Freeman's passing. He was such a nice man with wonderful stories and encouraging advice for young writers. I remember he always brought Christmas chocolates specifically for the news assistants.
          About 10 years ago, I did a phone interview with Regis Philbin. I asked Regis about his time in San Diego, and all he wanted to do was talk about Don. Regis said there was no one more glamorous in San Diego, and he remembered being in awe when he'd see Don walking around downtown in a sort of cape. To Regis, success meant getting into Don's column.
          I did have a chance to share the anecdote with Don, but I wanted to also share it with his friends and family.

          BASIM SHAMIYEH writes:
          Very sad about Don’s passing. He was a kind, soft-spoken gentleman. I really liked Don and enjoyed the desk calls to help with his computer needs, always enjoying conversations with this very pleasant man. He sure knew a great deal about those old-time celebs. My deepest condolences to his family.

          MICHAEL GRANT writes:
          I always wanted to go to lunch with Don Freeman, because it never was just Don Freeman. I doubt Don ever lunched with just one other person. He was a person who several people wanted to go to lunch with every day. Every day, word got out, and there were usually six at the table. Don didn’t hold forth, but he was the reason those people were there.

          GLENN GRANT writes:
          My lasting memory of Don Freeman from the ’80s:
          The veteran newsman standing outside his office, dressed in neatly pressed slacks, long-sleeve shirt with tie, pencil in hand, holding a printout of his next day’s column. He’s looking it over, barely noticing the newsroom activities around him. The only people he would seem comfortable talking to in that moment were other legends in the room like Al Jacoby, Tom Blair, or Gerry Warren.
          If necessary, he’d make a pencil scratch here and there, then go back to the computer and save the final draft in the system. He probably would have preferred a typewriter. Maybe he did type it on paper and then have someone else enter it in the system. I never was invited into his office, so can’t be sure.
          We on the Currents copy desk would randomly grab stories to edit, and I frequently ended up with Don’s column. As a whippersnapper in my late 30s, I knew better than to quibble with something written by the master, and Don’s copy was always very clean. But one time, I found either a fact or grammar usage that I felt needed to be verified. I showed it to Gene “Chick” Ciechanowski, the slot, and he advised me to let it go. But I didn’t, and timidly approached Don in his “moment” outside his office. I told him about my concern. His response was along the order of “Oh, it can’t be.” I was ready with backup, and demonstrated to him why I thought the potential offending facts or words needed to be modified. He asked me to give him some time and he would get back to me.
          He eventually did and, amazingly, agreed with me. He thanked me profusely. Even gave a nod to Chick and looked my way. In my seven years at The San Diego Union, that was the only time I found something that needed fixing in Don’s copy. At the time, I guess I thought he was being a bit of a prima donna, but I realize now that nothing was more important to him than having an absolutely perfect column.
          San Diego and the craft of journalism have lost a star with Don’s passing. I’m sure when the Man Upstairs interviewed him, Don gave as good as he got.
         
          BOB LAURENCE writes:
          I count Don as one of my best friends in all the years I spent at the U-T. He played a key role in getting me assigned to the TV beat, where I found my natural home. TV, I discovered, was the best, most varied, beat on the paper, ranging from sitcoms to Shakespeare, sports to politics to crime to science. TV covered it all, and through TV, so could I. And my timing was fortunate — I latched onto the beat in the mid-1980s, just as cable was coming into its own.
          I was still deciphering the ins and outs of the TV industry when I walked into Don’s office one day, steaming mad. A network functionary had made promises, I thought, but things worked out differently, and I was righteously indignant. Don listened patiently until I was done. Then he said, “Are you saying a press agent lied to you?”
          Thank you, Don.

          PRESTON TUREGANO writes:
          As John Freeman pointed out about his father, Don, who died Wednesday, the man knew an army of celebrities. His desk Rolodex was a gold mine of home numbers of entertainers and other famous people, many of them deceased. As John’s successor as TV and Radio writer, I once had to get a number for pioneering TV sitcom creator Norman Lear for reaction to adult themes/topics in some cable TV shows aimed at juvenile viewers. Of course, Don had the number. And yes, Don and the late Neil Morgan were almost neck-and-neck in U-T longevity. Unfortunately, neither journalist was allowed to have a swan song column in the paper, where the Copley-era powers that be often chewed up long-time dutiful employees before the end of their careers and spit them out without at least a farewell cake-and-coffee reception. Neil – in his own words – was “fired.” Don, who was not fired, didn’t even get a retirement, or departure, story. (Let me know if I missed it.) As of 3:30 p.m. today, there was no U-T website story about Don’s death. The TimesofSanDiego.com had an obit story by John Freeman. I hope Don’s family doesn’t have to pay tronc U-T for a Life Tributes notice. Don was once a U-T institution, and to many who knew him, a legend. His passing is news.

          REBER: Preston, a notice of Don’s death was on the U-T web site by at least 7:45 Thursday night. Today a U-T writer asked me to put him in touch with someone who could supply info for an obit. I passed that to John Freeman. Point is, apparently there will be a news obit – and it certainly is called for.

          JACK REBER writes:
          It’s my loss that I worked at the U-T 31 years before I ever met Don Freeman. Once I did, we clicked. There were two things that brought us together.
          First, we were old-timers, each going back to the Jim Copley era.
          Second, I was the newsroom computer “expert” and Don was … well, Don wasn’t.
          Two or three times a week he would show up at my door and say “Help.” That meant I should follow him to his computer. Invariably, he would say “Walk this way” and then do a very fine Marty Feldman imitation. I would follow suit, and no doubt the youngsters wondered about those two old coots clumping through the newsroom. Awww, to heck with the kids. We were having fun.
          Other times Don would come into my office and sit by my desk. If I was on the phone he would sit quietly, and when my call ended he would say, “Hi, just hi.” That meant he did not have a computer problem, he just wanted to talk. After a few of those episodes I figured out that Don wasn’t socializing so much as looking for column ideas, but he never mentioned that to me. Our conversation involved throwing the names of sports and entertainment stars back and forth. If I saw that one of those names had caught Don’s attention I would turn to the internet and retrieve some information. If Don was interested, he would ask “Can you print that?” and I did. When he left my office, he NEVER headed back to his desk. I knew where he was going; he was headed to the library to research that column idea.
          Lunch in the fifth-floor cafeteria was always fun. I wanted to hear stories about celebrities, but Don was never a name-dropper or someone who would brag about his career. He was too secure to need any bragging. I think I learned something of his interview technique. To start with, he was a good listener. As the conversation went along I might make some half-baked comment such as “I think the Chargers are going to win Sunday.” And Don would come back, not with his opinion, but with “Why do you say that?”
          I’ll share one story Don told me, and frankly I’ve always wondered if it was true. He said that in his earliest days at Northwestern, his major was business. He said it was tough. “Oh, those numbers” and he slapped his head. And the accounting class was the worst. “Oh those numbers.” Slap! So one day he was studying in the library, and he wasn’t getting anywhere. “Oh those numbers.” Slap! His mind was in a daze as he staggered out of the library, and snow was falling. Those numbers and the snow blinded him and he almost knocked down the journalism dean. As Don said, one thing you don’t do at Northwestern University was knock down the dean of the school of journalism. The dean invited Don to his office to talk about his problem.
          Don said when he walked out of that office he was a journalism student, not a business student.
          And the world became a better place.


P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.