Thursday, August 24, 2017

No need for apologies



          Good evening, 919 Gang. Sometimes, reading an obituary you see a phrase such as “Good old Charlie didn’t have an enemy in the world.” That phrase apparently also applied to the Spanish general Ramon Maria Narvaez. On his deathbed (in 1868) he was asked by a priest to forgive his enemies. He replied, “I don’t have to because I have shot them all.”
          I wonder if Good Old Charlie did something like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

          SHARON REEVES writes:
          Sorry to be late with my eclipse story, but we just got home from Kansas City where we watched it during a family reunion. We gathered for the full family reunion on Saturday, 19 August. Just in case there might be clouds on Monday, we took a family picture with all of us wearing our eclipse glasses. We definitely got some interesting reactions from the neighbors.
          On Monday a somewhat smaller group of nine gathered to watch the eclipse from the deck of my husband's sister's home. It had been raining and cloudy all morning and into the early afternoon, but as time for the eclipse approached, the sun appeared and we all watched it disappear as the eclipse progressed. It really was impressive, and since we were near the southern edge of totality, the sun disappeared fully for about 2 minutes and 5 seconds. During that time we watched the rim of light around the moon, as mentioned by others, without our glasses. I was surprised that full darkness was not as dark as I had expected. I would say it was more like late twilight than night. The streetlights did come on and the birds were silent for that time though. About the time the sun fully reappeared, the clouds rolled back in and within two hours it was pouring enough rain to cause a lot of flooding in the lower areas in KC; fortunately we were on high ground.

          CLARK BROOKS writes:
          I want to correct a mistake I made yesterday: "In Greenville, forecasters said the chance of the sun blocking the eclipse was 35 percent." I meant to say chance of clouds blocking the eclipse.

------------------------------------------------------------------

          DAVID FARMER writes:
           Daft definitions--Cantonese order to reduce electric light usage during power shortage: dim sum (點心).

-------------------------------------------------------------

          REBER: After four days with no birthdays, I’m pleased to wish Happy Birthday, Aug. 25, to Dave Cohen and Greg Joseph.


P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.