Good evening, 919 Gang. A light menu tonight, and I’m not
complaining. I wish it would snow, then I wouldn’t have to work outside. Oh rats,
I forgot about shoveling sidewalks. I can’t win.
------------------------------------------------
GINA LUBRANO writes:
Nancy Ray's family is planning a gathering in her honor. As you may know, Nancy Ray passed away in July
after a long illness. She did not want a funeral service. Instead she wanted to
buy a round of drinks for her friends and family. In keeping with Nancy’s
wishes, we will be hosting a gathering of her friends and family to drink a
toast to Nancy! Please join us as we salute a remarkable woman.
Wednesday, August 30
4:00 – 6:00
Bully’s East Prime
Bistro
2401 Camino Del Rio
South
San Diego, CA 92108
Please RSVP by August 25 to RememberingNancyRay@gmail.com
If you would like to make a toast or share a memory, please
let us know when you RSVP to RememberingNancyRay@gmail.com.
----------------------------------------------------------------
PRESTON TUREGANO
writes:
Iffy “quality control” continues at the U-T. Tuesday’s page
B-2 “Local Reports” was 11 news briefs, seven of them set two columns wide, and
constituting 10 column inches each. All but one, “Dance Theater appoints new
executive director,” had the reporter’s email address at the end. “Manna is a
freelance writer” the dance article said in place of an email address. Who? I’m
thinking Marcia Manna, whom I thought was a staff writer. No one in the U-T
“back shop” noticed there was no first name? Where is the back shop now? Is
there one? An email I sent her bounced back. Was she laid off? Did she quit?
Does anyone know? I guess bylines are no longer automatically written at the
top of a story by the author. In my day…
REBER: Marcia does not
appear on the list of staffers on the U-T web site. Click on “Contact Us” near
the top of the page, then click on “Newsroom Staff Contacts: Reporters and
Editors.” The list shows 129 people, but I wouldn’t make too much of that. I
know newsroom people who are not on that list, plus at least three of the
people on the list are, I believe, free-lancers or part-timers.
But speaking of the “back shop” and error control, in most cases you can click on the staffer’s name in that list and get a photo and job description, but many of the links I tried resulted in “Oops! We are really sorry, but the page you requested cannot be found.”
In my day, we never lost pages. Stories sometimes, but
never pages.
--------------------------------------------------------
JOHN MEYER
writes:
Thank
you for posting the Hiroshima retrospectives by Mike Burge and Preston Turegano
regarding reflections upon that event failing to mention Pearly Harbor, the
Rape of Nanjing/Nanking - or Nanking Massacre.
There's
one additional point few mention:
If
Japan had a nuclear weapon first, would they have bombed the U.S.? Ask the
Pearl Harbor survivors, or on today, the 75th anniversary of the bloody battle
of Guadalcanal, the Marines, sailors and soldiers who fought in the island
campaigns in the Pacific.
-----------------------------------------------------------
REBER: Tonight’s Happy Birthday wishes
go to Jamie Reno for Aug. 9.
P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.