Sunday, August 13, 2017

Movie lingo



          Good evening, 919 Gang. I enjoy David Farmer’s explanation about what goes on in making a movie. It’s been weeks since a movie has appealed strongly enough to make me buy a ticket, so David’s posts are as close as I get.

          DAVID FARMER writes:
          Several people on this forum (okay, one) have been interested in the terms and techniques of TV and movies. Today I was reading an interview with Ray Romano about his role in the TV show "Get Shorty." He used several expressions that I understand, if only vaguely.
          The methods are employed in both TV and films, except the first one:
          1. Four-camera sitcom. I've been to four or five tapings, and observed that one camera stays on a wide shot. The others will focus on, say, three of the show's stars. Later, the four views are edited into one. This method allows the producers to select the best takes without shooting the same scene four times with a single camera. That would take at least four times as long, making it hard to meet tight deadlines. (Movies and made-for-TV movies are generally filmed with one camera.)
          2. Table read. This is just what it sounds like: the actors sit around a table and read their lines out loud. It helps to decide whether the scene works as written, or needs tweaking. In a comedy, for example, does a joke get the hoped-for laugh? The actors may ad lib some lines to see if they are better than those in the script.
          3. Back story. This one is sometimes used in news stories as well as in showbiz. It means the history of an actor or events that came before the film story begins. It can be put on paper by the writer for the actor's benefit. This allows for a deeper interpretation than just lines in a script. Is the actor a wounded vet? A former nun? Material from the back story may never be filmed, or there may be oblique references to it.
          4. ADR--automated dialogue replacement. This is used to change dialogue without re-shooting a scene. The actor records different words, often on a sound stage. The new lines replace those already recorded on film or tape. Ray Romano mentioned using ADR to change some lines for the airline version--notably G-rated.


          ADR seems to be the common term now, though dubbing, looping and re-voicing have been used. The technique has many purposes--get rid of profanity, correct a flubbed line, improve an accent, etc. I don't know why they call it "automated," because a technician takes the new line and edits it in to replace the old.
          A different type of dubbing involves voice actors substituting every word uttered by the original actor in a film. Think of Italian westerns. Some actors make careers out of dubbing one actor or actress.

-------------------------------------------------------

          MICHELE CLOCK SCHROTENBOER writes:
          I wanted to share a communications job posting at the County of San Diego, where I've worked since 2012. I'm a former U-T staff writer who resigned in 2011 to move on to other opportunities. I'm thankful to have ended up at the County. I'm now switching to a different position within the County, where I will get to do policy and special projects. This new position will pair well with my part-time graduate studies. I'm getting my Master of Public Administration from USC.
          So my previous job is now open to external applicants, which is somewhat rare at the County. I wanted to share the posting with the 919ers and ask them to pass along if they know of other well-qualified candidates. Here it is:

agency.governmentjobs.com
          The County of San Diego is now accepting applications for the position of Group Communications Officer. Group Communications Officers oversee, develop, and coordinate the communications program for a County functional group or agency. This position advises and assists management with public information/relations activities. This position oversees all media and communications within a group to ensure accuracy and effectiveness.

          We actually have two positions open under this same title. So if you apply here you will be considered for both positions. One is my previous job, managing communications for the County's Public Safety Group (nine departments), and the other is managing communications for the County's Health and Human Services Agency, which is even larger. These are not entry-level positions, but meant for someone with some experience with communications/PR, ideally in public sector, and also a strong understanding of journalism. Attitude is important too. We are looking for a team player who is diplomatic and has great judgment. We need a hard worker who is committed to public service but who also understands the needs of journalists. Also an excellent writer and editor.
          These are challenging positions, but also opportunities to serve under some stellar executive managers at the County. The executive who leads our public safety group, Ron Lane, is fantastic.
          The application period closes at the end of the day on Aug. 24. Once you submit the application, the two groups - Public Safety and Health and Human Services - each will look over it and decide whom to invite in for interviews. So applicants could get called by one or both groups.
          919ers can contact me with questions at michele_clock@hotmail.com. Thanks very much!

-----------------------------------------------

          STEVE BEHRENS writes:
          Jack, I can't say for sure this applies to alpacas, but I know my friend Tom Stinson, a 919 member, used to have two llamas on his two-acre property in Valley Center that grazed on the grass (and maybe other vegetation), saving Tom lots of time and effort he otherwise would have had to spend on mowing. You've mentioned how much work you put into mowing. Maybe it's time to get yourself a couple of exotic pets.

          REBER: That’s a reasonable idea, Steve, and I have been approached in the past by people who want to fatten some of their cows on grass I would otherwise have to mow. But there’s a problem.
          If you look at our place (2261 Sonora Way, Ramona 92065) on Zillow or Google Earth you can see that about two-thirds of our property is pasture. The other third holds the house and Mary’s gardens. And there’s no fence to separate the two elements. If those alpacas had intruded into the gardens, Mary would have grabbed the 12-gauge, and we would have a freezer full of alpaca burgers. We have chased horses, cows and goats out of here in the past.
          I could put up fencing, but I mow that pasture only once a year, so that seems easier than digging dozens of post holes and stringing wire.

--------------------------------------------------------------

          REBER: A pleasure tonight to wish Happy Birthday, Aug. 14, to Tom Nolan and Jerry Rife.

P.O. Box 2239
Ramona, CA 92065
U.S.A.